Monday 20 February 2017

The Warmth of Maasai Boma

Anyone who has been a student of Anthropology will know the joy of knowing the Maasai people. I was blessed to be among them at Namanga which is at the border of Kenya and Tanzania. As an anthropologist i can quote literature reviews on ethnographic works and studies done by many who have lived among the Maasai. My one day visit to the Maasai Manyatta certainly does not permit me to write about their way of life. Nevertheless, i had an opportunity to know them in person (human touch), an experience which a book or a video on YouTube would not give.


Let me start with the Maasai Boma (house), the settlement pattern of number of houses in a circle together constitute a Manyatta. As you see in the picture, this is how a Maasai Boma looks. It is warm and cosy. The Maasai people are just warm like their boma. They smile with no inhibitions, they dance with joy, their eyes sparkle like stars. They are people who live life to the fullest each day. I loved meeting the elderly women in the village. They were calm and friendly. There was so much to learn from them. They are truly women of substance who stand tall on the face of all odds. They showed me their bomas and flaunted their jewelries. They so much reminded me of indigenous people back home in India. Truly helping me understand the universality of cultures across the globe. A group of elderly women welcomed me in their community through a dance. They were so happy to have me among them, at the same time they were shy and were giggling. That was their authentic self expression and it made me feel so awesome. I enjoyed the simple festive food they offered me. And interacted with few of them through gestures of hi, thank you etc. 


It was a dream come true. The little things in life at times teach you the true joy of living.These experiences are so special that i find it hard to express them in words. All i have with me is the Warmth of Maasai people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment